Kalenova Natal'ya Alekseevna, Candidate of philological sciences, associate professor, sub-department of computer engineering and international educational programs, Volgograd State University of Architecture and Civil Engineering (1 Academicheskaya street, Volgograd, Russia), email@example.com
Background. The system and structural phraseological paradigm opened the properties of phraseological units as units of language. Verbal properties of phraseological units, which are studied by communicative-pragmatic phraseology, discover lingua-creative potential of signs of indirectly derivative nomination. Objective of the study is to reveal the features of semantic representation of phraseological units in letters of M. O. Menshikov. The letters represent a kind of oral speech fixed in written form. M. O. Menshikov is an elite linguistic personality; the events of the early XXth century are reflected in his letters and diaries. The actuality of the research is determined by the fact that the semantic representation of phraseological units occurs through the prism of Menshikov's linguistic personality. In modern linguistics the researches focused on the Person in the language are relevant in the common desire of scientists to understand the mechanisms of implementing thoughts in the word, the cognitive principles of influence on thoughts of an addressee through the word, as well as the properties of verbal units, which ensure the work of these principles.
Materials and methods. As the material of research served the phraseological units used in letters of Mikhail Osipovich Menshikov – a public figure of the early XXth century, thinker, patriot. By complete sampling was compiled a card file of phraseological units used in the Menshikov's epistolary style. Phraseological meaning was revealed through the dictionary definitions. The contextual method and method of phrasema-formational combinatorics helped to reveal the composition of the semantic structure of the verbal phraseological units.
Results. The author researched semantic structures of phraseological units used in Menshikov's letters. The researcher considered the features of meaning implementation of such phraseological units, as well as transforming methods of formal and conceptual aspects of signs of indirectly derivative nomination in the author's use. The author made conclusions about the semantic representational properties of phraseological units in Menshikov's epistolary style.
Conclusions. Studying of semantic representation of phraseological units in Menshikov's epistolary style allows revealing its features. The variations in semantic structure of the phraseological unit are caused by the context of time of M. O. Menshikov’s life, as well as by his perception. In the semantic structure of the phraseological unit there were reflected the emotions experienced by the author of the letter, at the same time the emotive aspect of the phraseological unit could be occasional. In his letters from prison there was recorded a significant increase in the number of phraseological units with the component God. The author managed to identify a particular role of a special method, when each component of the phraseological unit alive and well is used in its direct meaning.
1. Fesenko O. P. Kompleksnoe issledovanie frazeologii druzheskogo epistolyarnogo diskursa pervoy treti 19 veka: avtoref. dis. d-ra filol. nauk [Complex research of phraseology of friendly epistolary discourse of the first third of XIX century: author’s abstract of dissertation to apply for the degree of the soctor of philological sciences]. Tomsk, 2009, 37 p.
2. Smolin M. Men'shikov M. O. Pis'ma k russkoy natsii [Letters to the Russian nation]. Moscow: Izd-vo zhurnala «Moskva», 1999, 555 p.
3. Kotsyubinskiy D. A. Russkiy natsionalizm v nachale XX stoletiya. Rozhdenie i gibel' ideologii Vserossiyskogo natsional'nogo soyuza [Russian nationalism in the early XX century. Rise and fall of the ideology of the Russian national union]. Moscow: ROSSPEN, 2001, 528 p.
4. Alekseev V. V. Istoricheskaya nauka na poroge XXI veka [Historical science on the threshold of XXI century]. Novosibirsk: In-t arkheologii i etnografii SO RAN, 2001, pp. 4–20.
5. Kozhinov V. Rossiyskaya Federatsiya segodnya [The Russian Federation today]. 2000, no. 24, pp. 25–27.
6. Gol'danskiy V. I. Rossiya na rubezhe XXI veka: Oglyadyvayas' na vek minuvshiy [Looking back at the past century]. Moscow: Nauka, 2000, pp. 60–68.
7. Men'shikov M.O. Materialy k biografii [Materials for the biogrpahy].Moscow:Studiya «TRITE»; Ros.arkhiv,1993.
8. Lenin V. I. Polnoe sobranie sochineniy [Complete works]. Moscow: Izd-vo polit. literatury, 1967, vol. 37,748 p.
9. Tynyanov Yu. N. Poetika. Istoriya literatury. Kino. [Poetics. History of literature. Cinema]. Moscow: Nauka, 1977, pp. 147–149.
10. Alefirenko N. F., Zolotykh L. G. Problemy frazeologicheskogo znacheniya i smysla (v aspekte mnogourovnevogo vzaimodeystviya): monogr. [Problems of phraseological meaning and sense (from the viewpoint of multilevel interaction): monograph]. Astrakhan: Astrakhanskiy universitet, 2004, 296 p.
11. Valdayskiy Iverskiy monastyr' – Drevo: otkrytaya pravoslavnaya entsiklopediya [Valdaysk Iversk monastery – The tree: open orthodox encyclopaedia]. Available at: http://drevo-info.ru/articles/418.html